Friday 27 January 2012

Busiest Week Of My Life.

Woah! 

What a roller-coaster week for me! I'll lay it out for y'all sequentially. Lets begin with an abrupt Monday morning. I awoke from a hollow cylinder of rest and jumped into my mom's van so she could transport me back to the big city. (To provide backstory, I had spent an entire week in Bowmanville protecting my family from the toils and troubles of emotional decoupling. The End.)  

I went into work for a 12-9 shift, which I had been debating following through with for a few days. I gritted the trenches, got'r done and hopped into the truck with Dan at 9:05pm. We headed straight to Helm's Deep (ASA Studios)... Well, first we spent a couple bucks on some Little Caesar's before hitting the grind. 

I started laying down all the backing vocals. I had to really open up my throat for some of them; being in a headphone cave forced me to hear every aspect of my voice that needs work. 
In my opinion, one of the best kept secrets to a great album is opening the mind to vocal possibilities regarding placement of the abstract vocal pads. (I.E: "ouuhs" and "aaahhhs.")

Dan kept a naked ear on the happenings so we could bounce ideas off each other. He also did a tonne of tweeting and instagram-ing during my takes. We became very serious, and finished our work.

To my delight, Dan Flannel suggested we stay at the cottage after we had finished. The Sadowski cottage: It's an essential part of any young man or woman's personal development in this big game of life. 
I ended up watching American Beauty. The film blew my mind, why did I put this off for so long? I would have never guessed the military dude was gay the entire time!
The night expired into morning, and we managed to consume about 4-5 hours worth of sleep between 6-11am.

Work resumed. Johnny and I meddled with various synth sounds and organ pads, found the right tone, and went to town. We also opened up some of the original files from the classic LBD EP and added some keys into those tracks as well.
I started to fade around 2am on Wednesday morning as we drove back to the city. I was NOT looking forward to going back to work. 9-6 on a Wednesday morning isn't very amusing after 15 hours of tracking. Nevertheless, it feels good to cap off the recording process with a spirited effort. 

I'm so geared up for this album to drop. It has so much integrity and colour to it. It is musicianship at its finest.

I realize its now 4am on friday morning. We just got back from playing in Cambridge with Breaking Vista and Brendan Distefano. It wasn't too bad for an out of town show. We also have Oshawa and Hamilton in the next couple of days...LOUD NOISES!



Yup. Bedtime for this young soul. We spent one hour too many in the truck on the way home trying to solve riddles on Brian's blackberry app. 

Night Kids. Stay Classy

- Hohmann


No comments:

Post a Comment